ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Legal status of organization:
Foundation (nonprofit organization)
The mandate of the organization
The mission of the Foundation of Local Democracy is to create a society of equal opportunities.
The purpose of the Foundation of Local Democracy is to contribute to the development of civil society, supporting the development of ideas that promote human rights and development of NGOs that are involved in the democratization of society and preservation of the natural, cultural, historical and spiritual values of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The Foundation of Local Democracy addresses the following issues:
1. The promotion and protection of human rights at all levels of social and public life through organizing and conducting educations, trainings, seminars, conferences and congresses.
2. The preparation and publishing of brochures, books and other promotional materials, in accordance with the applicable legislation in BH.
3. Encouraging and supporting research projects and policies.
4. Supporting of the collective action of women's groups and NGOs in empowering women to actively participate in the transformation of the BH society and an equal role in public and private spheres.
5. Fundraising and creating a fund to help the NGO sector in BH and the institutions designed for their institutional and economic empowerment in accordance with the applicable legislation in BH.
6. Improvement of the social status of women through: Prevention in the protection from domestic violence by organizing shelters, private centers and therapeutic centers, as well as training, retraining and assistance in the implemented organization, in particular through the provision of legal aid.
7. The promotion and protection of children’s rights in particular from the aspect of domestic violence, manipulation of children and their exploitation in any illegal form, as well as by organizing educational and cultural programs targeted at children and adults.
8. Establishing a favorable environment for a better legal and policy framework as well as the wider public awareness of the nature and role of NGOs, including the active role of joint institutions at the state level.
9. Improving the managerial and technical effectiveness of NGOs.
10. Work on creating long-term sustainability within the NGOs.
11. Work on projects to protect and preserve the cultural and historical heritage of BH through organizing workshops, training courses, seminars and exhibitions.
12. Cooperation with European and world organizations with similar program orientations on the implementation of joint projects and the provision of logistics and transportation, technical and personal participation in the realization of joint projects to help Bosnia.
The history of the organization
The Foundation of Local Democracy has stemmed from the international organization Embassy of Local Democracy Barcelona-Sarajevo, founded in 1996 upon the initiative of the Council of Europe, with the aim of linking and twinning with other European cities, the development of democracy, cultural exchanges, and socio-economic development.
During the existence of the Embassy of Local Democracy, it has implemented over 300 projects. The projects were implemented in the areas of reconstruction, sustainable returns, health and social care and education.
In January 2003, the registration was renewed as a local organization - the Foundation of Local Democracy, as the legal successor of the Embassy of Local Democracy Barcelona-Sarajevo.
Local Democracy Foundation is a local non-governmental organization that has 20 years of experience in designing, coordinating, managing and providing technical and personnel support for various projects and programs.