Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference (TOR)
Foundation of Local Democracy
The Foundation of Local Democracy (FLD) is an implementing partner of UNHCR in the field of legal aid to asylum seekers and refugees. FLD is seeking one local lawyer who will provide free legal aid to the beneficiaries of concern. In particular, the lawyer will ensure that asylum seekers and refugees have access to a fair and effective refugee status determination procedure as well as to other rights related to their status in BiH.
2. Description of responsibilities
The asylum lawyer will pursue the following tasks on behalf of FLD:
• provide information and legal counseling to persons seeking international protection (asylum seekers) in BiH throughout the asylum procedure. In particular, legal representation will be provided to asylum seekers when meeting with authorities who receive and examine asylum requests and before the Court of BiH for complaints against negative decisions;
• support and represent beneficiaries (i.e. persons seeking international protection, persons seeking temporary protection, victims of trafficking, persons under international protection, persons who have the rights to temporary residence on humanitarian grounds, former temporary admission status holders, persons under temporary protection, and in consultation with UNHCR, rejected asylum seekers still in need of international protection) in order to ensure their access to rights deriving from their status;
• assist persons who have been benefiting from international protection such as the former Temporary Admission status holders from Kosovo in BiH to find a durable solution, especially when they are faced with arbitrary conditions imposed by the state in order legalize their stay;
• litigate on behalf of beneficiaries before the national courts and international human rights bodies such as the European Court of Human Rights and the UN treaty bodies;
• ensure that the needs and difficulties faced by the beneficiaries in relation to the implementation of relevant legislation and access to rights are documented and reported on, and to ensure appropriate follow-up in accordance with relevant legislation and UNHCR standards;
• cooperate with other governmental and non-governmental actors in the area of exercise of rights of beneficiaries;
Candidates are expected to meet the following minimum requirements:
• National of Bosnia and Herzegovina;
• University degree in Law;
• Sound knowledge of displacement issues, human rights and refugee law;
• At least 1 year experience in the field of administrative, constitutional and/or human rights litigation;
• Fluency in English and local language;
• Excellent drafting and presentation skills;
• Proficiency in Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
• Ability to work on own initiative and as a part of a team.
Professional experience in the field of human rights, immigration and/or refugee law will be considered as an asset.
Priority will be given to candidates who passed the bar exam
CV and related documents should be submitted in English and local language.
The deadline for submission of CV is 30.03.2011.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Fondacija lokalne demokratije
Local Democracy Foundation is a local non-governmental organization that has 18 years of experience in designing, coordinating, managing and providing technical and personnel support for various projects and programs.
"The Little Women's Corner"
Last page of the diary 25 years since the death of photojournalist Jordi Pujol and Puente
Godišnje priznanje Andrei Vujošević